Making phototextures with Shaggy - make our models great again :)

From now, the TrainzDepot is in a read-only mode, see our announcement). From now, our new place-to-go, https://www.trainz.de is available.
Since 28.02.2019 personal data (e.g. profile contents, private messagers) has been deleted.
  • I would like to start treat about making a phototextures, which could be used in Trainz. Because it is a huge and hard issue I don't quite know how to

start it, but I think that some aspects of the issu will emerge during the discussion.

Performing phototex will not be difficult if we have good pictures of the object or loco which we want to create.

It is important that the photos are taken with the right exposure - they can not be too light or too dark - the sunny weather does not allow you to take

good pictures, so often photographing the subject often requires a lot of patience awaiting the right conditions.

Which pictures can be used to create textures?

- done at an angle close to 90 degrees,

- can not be raised / blurred,

- they must contain as much detail as possible - we make them as close as possible,

- photos must be large enough to retain as much texture detail as possible.

-44-2661-1.jpg

baureihe_44_004-13483-900-600-80.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

I want to show you a PERFECT photos to make phototexures - I got them from Achim Konejung. For presentation purposes, I reduced their size:

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg\

http://trainzimage.pl/images/2017/07/22/IMG_4106.jpgIMG_4106.jpg

First thing - and the most important - why do we use phototex in Trainz? Because it allows to give the object the right texture and lightening. Until

T:ANE our game engine did not have a shadow creation feature, so it had to be created on texture - in other ways buildings or locos were looking like a

toys from Paint. I think, that this picture closely show about what I'm talking about.

1.jpg

As you can see on my textures there are shadows in places where they naturally occur - under the roof over cabin, under the tank on the mask and - of

course - under the loco. In addiction, I added shadows under the buffers, couplings and details on the mask and roof. Naturally, these shadows either do

not appear or are almost invisible and we use this to make model "more plstic" and to improve its reception in game. Using phototextures we keep stains,

dirt, screw heads and rivets that we are not able to reproduce properly using Paint.

Performing phototex will not be difficult if we have good pictures of the object or loco which we want to create.

It is important that the photos are taken with the right exposure - they can not be too light or too dark - the sunny weather does not allow you to take

good pictures, so often photographing the subject often requires a lot of patience awaiting the right conditions.

That's all for start - maybe you will have some questions - please ask them here, we can make a very rich discussion in this place :) but please - if

it's possible - write in English - I don't know German and Google Translate don't help in understanding your language :P

• Ich weiß nicht, wie ich es am besten in Englisch formuliere. Es sind zu

viele Fachbegriffe dabei, bei denen ich in der Verwendung unsicher bin.

Vielleicht kann mir jemand bitte helfen, den Text vernünftig zu übersetzen.

Danke.

• Das Wichtigste ist ein scharfkantiges Bild in einer hohen Auflösung.
    • Eine hohe Filmempfindlichkeit (ISO) sehe ich auch als wichtig an.
    • Ideal wäre wahrscheinlich noch raw-Format.
    • Details wie "kein/kaum Schlagschatten" und keine Hindernisse (Schatten).
    • Einige Kompromisse wird man aber machen müssen.
    • Verzerrungen lassen sich mittels Bildbearbeitung relativ gut entfernen.
  • "Eine hohe Filmempfindlichkeit (ISO) sehe ich auch als wichtig an"

High ISO makes noise in the picture. With this option You need to be very careful.

"Ideal wäre wahrscheinlich noch raw-Format"

Yes and no. Not every graphical program supports .raw. The second thing is that the target textures are smaller in size than photos, so part of detail becomes imperceptible.

"Einige Kompromisse wird man aber machen müssen"

There is no compromise. EITHER PHOTOTEX OR NOTHING!

"Verzerrungen lassen sich mittels Bildbearbeitung relativ gut entfernen"

I don't understand, Google Translate cannot help :/

• in other ways buildings or locos were looking like a

toys from Paint. I think, that this picture closely show about what I'm talking about.

This picture looks impressive in the first place, but it reveals the major weakness of photo textures!

Your example works only if the major light source appears from the upper right side, If the light comes from the left it fails completely. There would be no shadows under the tank and the grating in the front would be bright and with very little shadows.

There is no compromise. EITHER PHOTOTEX OR NOTHING!

Okay, better dead than red... Sorry couldn't resist, but your statement is quite narrow minded!

To obtain photo textures without any shadows except those which occurs in ambient occlusion are only possible in a studio environment. Since T:ane we can focus on most realistic materials with very natural properties (reflection, refraction, etc.) and can leave the shadows to the engine. I agree, that those shadows are not optimal yet, but a step in the right direction.

You should get familiar e.g. with texture baking to catch up with actual T:ane stanards...

Mick!

• Mick,

I will not play Trainz in Tane - I use version 2010. The shadows in TANE do not match my expectations. Also, all the textures in TANE are "bland" and in my opinion they do not look good. Paint is good-looking in this version but it's not good for older ones.

"Your example works only if the major light source appears from the upper right side, If the light comes from the left it fails completely. There would be no shadows under the tank and the grating in the front would be bright and with very little shadows."

If it would be a TANE-only model then You're right :)